Prep Time: 1 hour 40 minutes
- 8 tbsps Brown Butter (see directions)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup + 2 tbsps all-purpose flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup brown butter (see instructions)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp baking powder
Glaze Topping, optional
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3-4 tbsps milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Brown three sticks of unsalted butter in a pan. Set aside and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Make the crumb topping: add 8 tbsps of the brown butter to a bowl and add brown sugar, cinnamon, and flour. Mix together until mixture becomes clumpy. Add bowl to the freezer.
- In a separate bowl, make the filling. Combine flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and a pinch of salt. Mix together and set aside.
- In a stand mixer using the whisk attachment or large bowl using a hand mixer, add the remaining amount of brown butter (this should be around 1 cup of butter), brown sugar, and sugar. Whisk together until fully incorporated. Add sour cream, vanilla extract, and vegetable oil. Continue to mix. Add eggs one at a time.
- In a separate bowl, mix together dry ingredients – flour, kosher salt, and baking powder. Add half of the flour mixture to wet ingredients and mix together. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Then add the remainder of the flour mixture and mix until batter is smooth, about 10-15 seconds. Be sure not to over mix.
- Using a springform pan, spray the pan with oil and then sprinkle with flour to ensure cake does not get stuck to pan. (If using parchment rounds, lay the parchment paper down on the bottom of the pan).
- Add half of the batter to the bottom of the pan. Then add all of the filling. Add the remainder of the cake batter on top of the filling. (Batter will be thick so use a spatula or spoon to ensure that cake batter is spread evenly across the pan).
- Remove crumb topping from freezer and sprinkle on top of the cake batter. Bake cake for 1 hour and 10-20 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow cake to cool inside pan for 10 minutes and then remove from pan.
- To make glaze, mix together powdered sugar and milk. Drizzle on top of coffee cake.