Prep Time: 35 Minutes
For the Scones:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons sugar divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup cold Minerva Dairy unsalted butter cubed
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 large eggs divided
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 4 bacon strips cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon milk
For the cinnamon sugar spread:
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) Minerva Dairy unsalted butter softened
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon sugar
To make the scones:
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- Cut in butter (I prefer to grate cold butter using a box grater and mix it into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs).
- In a separate bowl, whisk together buttermilk, oil, and one large egg. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until just moistened (do not overmix).
- Gently fold in the blueberries, bacon, and cheese.
- Turn dough out onto a well-floured surface. Knead 10 times. You can sprinkle a little flour over the dough if the dough is a little sticky.
- Form the dough into a ball. Then pat down until you have an 8-inch circle (about the size of a salad plate).
- Cut the circle into eight wedges. Place the wedges on a greased baking sheet.
- Mix together the remaining egg and milk. Brush egg wash over the top of the wedges. Sprinkle the wedges with the remaining two tablespoons of sugar.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center of a scone comes out clean. Allow the scones to cool for five minutes.
To make the cinnamon sugar spread:
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl until well combined. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Allow the butter to soften at room temperature before serving.