Prep Time: 40 Minutes ( Total Time 8 hours 10 minutes)
INGREDIENTS FOR THE ROLLS
- 4 1/2 tsp active dry yeast (2 packets)
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup warm water (105-110 degrees F)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar, plus 1 tsp
- 5 Tbsp butter, divided
- 8-9 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp kosher salt
INGREDIENTS FOR THE BUTTER
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1/4 cup liquid honey
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE ROLLS
- Pour 2 cups of milk in a sauce pan and heat until it is almost boiling. You will see foam start to form around the edges, it starts to steam, and bubbles are across the surface as well. Remove from the heat and let it cool to 95 degrees F (this takes about 20 minutes).
- While the milk is cooling dissolve yeast and 1 tsp of sugar into the warm water. Let it sit for about 5 minutes until it starts to “bloom” or foam up.
- Once the milk has cooled mix together the milk, yeast mixture, 4 Tbsp melted butter, eggs, sugar and 4 cups of flour together in a stand mixer using a dough hook. It should start to form a smooth batter.
- Add in 4 more cups of flour and the salt and mix until it forms a stiff dough. If you need additional flour add a little at a time to get it to come together.
- Once you have a stiff dough, knead for about 10 minutes, until it is soft and satiny. Place in a well oiled bowl, cover, and place in a warm draft free place to let it double in size. This should take 60-90 minutes depending on the temperature.
- Once the dough has risen, punch it down and turn it onto a lightly floured surface.
- Roll into a rectangle that is 1/2 inch thick. Take the short edge of the dough and fold it in half, so you now have a rectangle that is 1 inch thick. Gently roll to seal the edges. Let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Cut the dough into 24 squares and place them on a lined or greased baking sheet. Cover and let rest for about 60 minutes, until they are puffed up.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake 15-20 minutes until they are golden. Brush the tops with the remaining 1 Tbsp melted butter.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE CINNAMON BUTTER
- In a medium bowl, beat butter, honey, sugar, and cinnamon until smooth.
- Add salt and beat until smooth. Taste and adjust salt, honey, and cinnamon to your preferences.