Beer, Cheese, and Bratwurst Soup Print
This recipe pays homage to Minerva Dairy's beginnings in the land of the cheese-heads! Use your favorite beer to flavor the creamy cheese base for this main-dish bratwurst soup.
Prep Time:15 minutes
- 2 medium White Onions diced
- 2 medium Carrots diced
- 2 Celery Stalks diced
- 2 tsp. finely chopped Garlic
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1/4 cup Minerva Dairy Unsalted Amish Roll Butter
- 1/3 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 2 cups Whole Milk
- 1 3/4 cups Chicken Stock (14 fl oz.)
- 1 (12 oz.) bottle Beer (Leinenkugel's Wisconsin Red Pale Ale)
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tsp. Dry Mustard
- 1 tsp. Sea Salt
- 1/4 tsp. Black Pepper
- 1 lb. Minerva Dairy Sharp Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 2 Bratwurst grilled and sliced
- Cook onions, carrots, celery, garlic, and bay leaf in Minerva Dairy Unsalted Amish Roll Butter in a 4-quart heavy saucepan over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and sprinkle flour over vegetables, then cook, stirring occasionally, 3 minutes until blonde roux forms.
- Add milk, broth, and beer, whisking, then simmer, whisking occasionally, 5 minutes.
- Stir in Worcestershire sauce, mustard, salt, and pepper. Discard bay leaf.
- Pulse with Immersion Blender until smooth.
- Add cheese by handfuls, whisking constantly, and cook until cheese is melted and soup is smooth.
- Add slices of Bratwurst and stir to combine.
- Garnish with more shredded Minerva Dairy Sharp Cheddar.