Easter Bread Print
This holiday recipe is as fun to make as it is to eat. Although an Easter tradition, your family will want you to make it for every holiday! A fun kid-friendly recipe that truly brings the family together.
Prep Time:2 hours
- 2 tablespoons Minerva Dairy Maple Syrup Amish Roll Butter at room temperature
- 3 cups of flour
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 package rapid rise yeast
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon maple extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons Minerva Amish Roll Butter
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups powdered sugar
- Food coloring of choice
- Granulated sugar
- Mix 1 cup of flour with sugar, salt and yeast in a bowl - stir well. Place milk and maple extract into a small saucepan over low heat, and warm to about 110 degrees F (43 degrees C). Make a well in the center of the flour mixture with your hand, and pour in the milk mixture; swirl with your hand in a circular motion to combine the flour mixture with the milk mixture. Mix in butter and eggs, one at a time, then mix in remaining flour until dough begins to pull together.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured work surface and knead until soft but elastic, about 8 minutes. Cover with a damp cloth and let dough rest for 10 minutes; cut dough into halves.
- On floured work surface, roll each half into a ball, then shape the balls into 2 long pieces, about 1 1/2 inches thick and 18 to 20 inches long. Pinch the 2 top ends together, and loosely twist the pieces to form a twisted loaf; pinch the bottom ends together, and tuck the two ends underneath the loaf. (Alternately, form the twist into a ring, and pinch the ends together.)
- Grease a baking sheet, lay the loaf onto the prepared sheet, and cover with a damp towel; let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Bake loaf in the preheated oven until golden - 20 to 25 minutes. Watch closely towards the end of the baking time that the bread does not begin to burn. Transfer to wire rack immediately after baking to cool.
- While bread is cooling, prepare the vanilla icing, mixing all icing ingredients together in a bowl.
- Prepare colored sugar. Measure desired amount of sugar into a separate air tight container. Put one drop of food coloring in at a time, seal container and shake vigorously. Continue to add one drop of food coloring until sugar reaches desired color. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, spread colored sugar on a baking sheet and place in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Drizzle icing over cooled bread and sprinkle with colored sugar. Enjoy!