Prep Time: 20 Minutes
- 2 cups chopped broccoli florets
- 8 ounces angel hair pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small shallot, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest, divided
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup reserved pasta water
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for topping
- Toasted pine nuts, for topping
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add the broccoli and cook until crisp tender, about 2-3 minutes. Remove using a slotted spoon and bring the water back up to a rolling boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente according to package directions. Reserve 1 cup of the salted pasta water before draining pasta.
- While the pasta is cooking, make the sauce.
- In a saute pan, heat the olive oil. Add the shallot and cook until soft and translucent, but not browned. Add in the garlic and cook until fragrant. Melt the butter and stir in the lemon zest and juice. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add in 1/4 cup (or up to 1/2 cup, as needed) of the reserved pasta water and simmer until slightly thickened. Toss the pasta with the sauce, broccoli, and Parmesan cheese.
- Serve the pasta immediately topped with the pine nuts and additional cheese.