Ham and White Cheddar Savory Bread Pudding
Recipe and Images Courtesy of Slice of Jess
Our family, including our beloved Grandma Lorraine, who famously told us that “there’s not much in life that can’t be made better with butter,” has made developing the perfect batch of butter our family legacy. This goal is more than 125 years in the making, a passion passed on from generation to generation, including our children, who make up generation six.
The end result is a line high butterfat butter in multiple, dreamy flavors, from sea salt butter to the garlic herb variety.
You can grab the rolled version of our butter — or the classic sticks you’ll often find on store shelves — from your local market or specialty store, by using our location tool.
So, without further ado, here’s our recipe for Ham and White Cheddar Savory Bread Pudding:
- 1 Tbsp Minerva Garlic Butter, for greasing the baking dish
- 1/2 stick Minerva Garlic Butter, melted
- 1 loaf of Crusty French Bread (12 ounces)
- 1 Sweet Onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups Half & Half
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Fresh Cracked Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Fresh Thyme Leaves
- Pinch of Nutmeg (optional)
- 6 ounces Ham, thinly sliced
- 4 cups White Cheddar
- Preheat oven to 475F.
- Cut bread into cubes and toss together with melted butter. Bake for 2-3 minutes, until golden. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Turn heat down to 350F.
- Saute onion in olive oil until softened.
- Whisk eggs, half and half, salt, pepper, thyme leaves and nutmeg in large mixing bowl.
- Place toasted bread in a buttered baking dish and toss together with onions, ham and 3 cups white cheddar.
- Pour egg mixture over bread and press down on the bread to ensure all cubes are soaking up the custard. Top with remaining cup of cheese.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a fork inserted in the middle comes out clean. I recommend letting it rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Store any leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.