Sweet Potato Tart with Marshmallow Meringue
Recipe and Images Courtesy of The Cooking Bride
Our family, including our beloved Grandma Lorraine, who famously told us that “there’s not much in life that can’t be made better with butter,” has made developing the perfect batch of butter our family legacy. This goal is more than 125 years in the making, a passion passed on from generation to generation, including our children, who make up generation six.
The end result is a line high butterfat butter in multiple, dreamy flavors, from sea salt butter to the garlic herb variety.
You can grab the rolled version of our butter — or the classic sticks you’ll often find on store shelves — from your local market or specialty store, by using our location tool.
So, without further ado, here’s our recipe for a Sweet Potato Tart with Marshmallow Meringue:
Graham Cracker Crust:
- 1 1/4 cups ginger snap cookies, crushed
- 1 1/4 cups graham crackers, crushed
- 6 tablespoons unsalted Minerva Dairy butter, melted
Sweet Potato Filling:
- 2 medium cooked sweet potatoes, mashed (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 cup unsalted Minerva Dairy butter, softened
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Marshmallow Creme Meringue:
- 3 egg whites, room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup white granulated sugar
- 1 (7 ounce jar) marshmallow creme
For the Crust:
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, combine crushed cookies and graham crackers. Add butter and mix to combine. Crumbs should form a ball when squeezed in the palm of your hand. If not, add additional melted butter one tablespoon at a time until you reach desired consistency.
- Press crumbs into the bottom and up the sides of one 9-inch fluted tart pan or six 4.75-inch mini fluted tart pans. Bake for 15 minutes or until crust is set. Remove crust from the oven and allow to cool.
For the Sweet Potato Filling:
- Combine mashed potatoes and butter in a large mixing bowl. Mix at medium speed until blended.
- Pour in the milk.
- Add the eggs, one at a time.
- Add the nutmeg, cinnamon, vanilla, sugars, flour, and lemon juice.
- Pour mixture into the cooled crust. Bake at 325 degrees for 45 minutes to one hour until the center is set and no longer wobbly.
For the Marshmallow Meringue:
- While tart is baking, beat the egg whites, cream of tartar, salt and sugar at medium high speed using an electric mixer. Beat until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add the marshmallow creme. Continue to beat until stiff peaks form.
- Spread or pipe the meringue over the tart, making sure to seal edges. Bake at 325 degrees for 15 minutes until the meringue is golden