White Lightning BBQ Sauce
Our family, including our beloved Grandma Lorraine, who famously told us that “there’s not much in life that can’t be made better with butter,” has made developing the perfect batch of butter our family legacy. This goal is more than 125 years in the making, a passion passed on from generation to generation, including our children, who make up generation six.
The end result is a line high butterfat butter in multiple, dreamy flavors, from sea salt butter to the garlic herb variety.
You can grab the rolled version of our butter — or the classic sticks you’ll often find on store shelves — from your local market or specialty store, by using our location tool.
So, without further ado, here’s our recipe for White Lightning BBQ Sauce:
- 1 1/2 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup beer (recommended: Carolina Blonde)
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp. ground white pepper
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 lb. Minerva Dairy Smoked Maple Wood Butter
- 1 1/2 oz. (shot) Moonshine (recommended: Catdaddy)
- 1 tsp. Louisiana-style hot sauce (optional)
- In a saucepan over medium-low heat, stir together Dijon mustard, brown sugar, vinegar, and beer. Add chili powder, black pepper, white pepper, and cayenne pepper. Bring to simmer. Mix in Worcestershire sauce, Minerva Dairy Smoked Maple Wood Butter, and Moonshine* (away from flame) and simmer for 15-20 more minutes.
- If more heat is desired, add hot sauce. Seal in a jar and keep in the refrigerator overnight to let the flavors blend.
- Serve with pulled pork, smoked chicken, or brisket.
*Moonshine can be omitted for a great East Carolina-style BBQ sauce