- 4 pounds sweet potatoes, drained and mashed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 5 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup Minerva Dairy Sea Salt Butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dash salt
- 1 cup coarsely crushed butter-flavored crackers (about 20 crackers)
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 cups regular marshmallows, optional
SWEET POTATO PREP:
- WASH THEM. The worst way to ruin a sweet potato casserole or BBQ stuffed sweet potatoes is with a gritty texture. Scrub the skins lightly before preparing.
- LINE YOUR BAKING SHEET WITH FOIL, PARCHMENT PAPER OR A SILICONE MAT. Sweet potatoes tend to get a little juicy while baking, so lining the baking sheet first ensures easy cleanup. Mess-free baking!
- POKE HOLES! The pricking technique is always used when baking regular or sweet potatoes – it reduces the banking time and ensures the potatoes won’t burst. Use a fork to prick the potatoes all around.
- BAKE UNTIL TENDER. How can you tell when they’re done? Stick a fork into the thickest part of the potato, if there’s no resistance and goes in almost smoothly, it’s done. For the casserole, scoop all the potato flesh out and transfer into the large mixing bowl.
To roast sweet potatoes in the oven, you would preheat oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit to up to 425F for about 40 to 50 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft and tender. Also, sweet potatoes could be boiled like you would do potatoes for mashed potatoes instead of roasting.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- In a large bowl, combine 7 casserole ingredients. Transfer to a baking casserole size dish (9×13-inch rectangular casserole pan, 8×8 or 9×9 square dishes, 9×13 also holds about 3 quarts of volume).
- Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over sweet potato mixture. This is personal preference, you may add marshmallows on top of the casserole topping mixture and press it slightly down; if you desire classic sweet potato casserole use it, however, without it just as tasty.
- Bake uncovered between 20-25 minutes. Serves warm!
- You may use marshmallows or leave them out. You could make two smaller casseroles, one with marshmallows and one without it to please everyone’s palate.
- For sugar-free option, use sugar alternative to support your diet needs.